July 10, 2020
Optimal Staffing Strategy
Recently the CATCA Executive Board was briefed by the company on what they have called an Optimal Staffing Strategy and we are providing this update as information only. More details will be provided by NAV Canada as they develop and roll out the program.
Management’s new strategy uses a more scientific and data-driven approach to staffing and training plans with a focus on the following;
- optimizing the number of shifts required per day
- utilizing a time in position ratio which Nav Canada strives to achieve 60-75% based on location.
- a balanced distribution of annual leave and non-coverage duty shifts
- a Workforce Modeler to forecast training requirements to bridge staffing gaps today and in the future using predictive analytics
- planning short term utilization of the current workforce according to annual traffic patterns
To be clear, the briefing was not consultation nor an agreement by CATCA. However, as per Article 4 of the collective agreement NAV Canada has the right to manage the operation as they deem appropriate. This new strategy will not impact any of your rights in the collective agreement.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your RVP.
On behalf of the Executive Board,
Executive Vice President
Click here for the PDF.