The current collective agreement is set to expire March 31, 2013, which means that notice to bargain can legally be served as early as December 1, 2012. By way of preparation, we will soon move to fill the nine (9) elected positions on the Contract Committee. This letter serves as an advance notice explaining briefly how the process will unfold in the coming days and weeks.
The Contract Committee is made up of the following elected members:
– Executive Vice-President
– Five (5) Regional Vice-Presidents
– Nine (9) elected positions as follows:
• YVR ACC & YVR Tower (214 Members)
• IFR Prairie (YEG and YWG ACCs, 381 Members)
• VFR West (all towers west of and including YQT, except YVR, 251 Members)
• VFR East (all towers east of YQT except YYZ, and Bilingual Towers, 163 Members)
• YYZ ACC and YYZ Tower (353 Members)
• VFR Bilingual (all towers in Quebec and YOW Tower, 107 Members)
• IFR Bilingual (YUL ACC, 211 Members)
• IFR Atlantic (YQM and YQX ACCs, 282 Members)
• Non-operational members (41 Members)
Roles and responsibilities of Contract Committee:
• To faithfully reflect and bring forward the views and concerns of the members in each area and facility, as well as the membership as a whole;
• To provide necessary guidance and resources to the negotiators at every stage;
• To regularly communicate with and update the members; and
• To deliver the best possible tentative agreement for the membersâ€™ approval.
It is important to remember that while the Contract Committee makes all decisions leading up to the tentative agreement, it does not conduct the actual negotiations, nor do Contract Committee members individually bring contract proposals to the table. Contract proposals must be discussed, adopted, and submitted by branch meetings called for that purpose.
The formal call for nominations for the nine (9) elected positions will be issued on October 1, 2012. The nomination period will run from October 15, 2012 and will end on October 22, 2012.
Detailed information as to voting procedures will be sent out by October 18, 2012, as well as being posted on the CATCA website.
Voting will open October 23, 2012 and close October 31, 2012. Please note that voting by proxy is not permitted. Results will be released on October 31, 2012.
Please watch for further announcements in coming days, and thank you all in advance for your participation in this important democratic process.