February 18, 2019
In preparation for the 2019 National Convention, all Branch office holders should carefully review the provisions of the CATCA Policy Book dealing with Convention procedures. At this time, you are reminded specifically of the procedures and deadlines for submitting proposed By-law Amendments and Branch Resolutions.
By-law Amendments: By-laws 20.1 – 20.6 (Section II of the Union By-laws) detail the action required by Branches and must be strictly adhered to. It should be noted that proposed By-law Amendments:
- Require approval of 2/3 of the members voting at a Branch meeting, or a Branch referendum ballot which receives in favour 75% of the votes cast (By-laws 20.1 and 21.3), or approval of 2/3 of the Board members voting at a Board Meeting (By-law 20.6);
- Are submitted electronically online to the National Office by the Branch Chairperson/Steward;
- A copy of the minutes of the meeting at which they are passed, or the results of the referendum vote, certified by the Branch Chairperson and the Branch Secretary or Steward, as the case may be must be emailed to email@example.com;
- Must be received online no later than March 29, 2019 for Convention 2019;
- May be amended by the Convention delegates if at least two-thirds (2/3) are in favour of the amendment and the Branch proposing the amendment agrees, as required by By-law 20.5;
- May not be proposed as a resolution from the Convention floor;
- Will be presented to the delegates in their original form and on the form designed by the National Executive, as proper for incorporation in the By-laws.
NOTE: These By-law Amendments should only propose changes to our CURRENT By-laws.
The procedures for submitting Branch Resolutions are set out in Section I, para. 10.8 of the Policy Book. Although provision is made for submitting resolutions to the Executive Vice President/ alternate within 24 hours of the opening of the Convention, Branch Chairpersons/ Stewards are urged to try to have them all into the National Office electronically at least 60 days in advance (March 4, 2019) so that the membership as a whole will be aware of all subjects to be put before the Convention Delegates.
Linked here is the online submission form for use by Branches in submitting convention Resolutions and By-law amendments.
Executive Vice President
Click here for the PDF.