Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Transport Canada tentative agreement

We are pleased to announce that negotiators for Treasury Board and CATCA CAW Local 5454 have reached a settlement in bargaining for a new collective agreement covering air traffic controllers employed by Transport Canada. Highlights are explained below – but please refer to the full text of the Memorandum of Agreement. Unless otherwise indicated, new provisions come into effect only upon signing of the new collective agreement. Your bargaining team, consisting of Greg Myles, Doug Best, Steve Dryden, and Abe Rosner, unanimously recommends that members vote “YES” to this settlement. Ratification procedures will be announced shortly. We would like to sincerely thank our members for their patience and support throughout this period of economic and political uncertainty.
Duration: Agreement expires June 30, 2014.
Pay: Effective July 1, 2009: Increase of 1.5%. July 1, 2010: Increase of 1.5%. (Both are the maximum allowed under the Expenditure Restraints Act, and are fully retroactive.) July 1, 2011: 1.5%. July 1, 2012: 1.5%. July 1, 2013: 1.5%. Additional increases of 0.25% on July 1, 2011 (for total of 1.75%) and 0.5% on July 1, 2013 (for total of 2.0%) in recognition of the change to severance pay.
Severance: Severance on retirement or resignation will be discontinued July 2, 2011, but will be kept for layoff, death, or termination for incapacity. AIs may cash out none, part, or all of their accumulated severance pay after July 2, and claim the balance on termination of employment.
Family Related Leave: Up to 7.5 hours of the total entitlement may now be used for appointments with a legal, financial, or other professional representative, or school functions or closure. ‘Family’ expanded to include foster children.
Bereavement Leave: Increase from the current five (5) calendar days to seven (7) calendar days.
Supervisory Differential: Positions with supervisory ratings will see increases as follows, effective July 1, 2011: A – increase from 2% to 3%. B – from 4% to 6%. C – from 5% to 7%. D – from 6% to 9%.
Distribution of Collective Agreements: In accordance with environmental initiatives in various sectors, the parties have agreed that copies of the collective agreement may be issued electronically.
Work Ownership: The employer dropped its demand for the elimination of LOU 4-09. AIs will continue to have exclusive ownership over all functions which are currently only performed by AIs.