In preparation for the 2016 National Convention, all Branch office holders should carefully review the provisions of the By-laws and the CATCA Policy Manual dealing with Convention procedures. At this time, you are reminded specifically of the procedures and deadlines for submitting proposed By-law Amendments and Branch Resolutions.
By-law Amendments: By-laws 21.1 – 21.7 (Section II of the Policy Manual) detail the action required by Branches and must be strictly adhered to. It should be noted that proposed By-law Amendments:
- Require approval of 2/3 of the members voting at a Branch meeting, or a Branch referendum ballot which receives in favour 75% of the votes cast (By-laws 21.1 and 21.2), or approval of 2/3 of the Board members voting at a Board Meeting (By-law 21.6);
- Are submitted to the National Office by the Branch Chairperson/Steward;
- Must be accompanied by a copy of the minutes of the meeting at which they are passed, or the results of the referendum vote, certified by the Branch Chairperson and the Branch Secretary or Steward, as the case may be;
- Must be postmarked no later than February 5, 2016 for CATCA 2016;
- May be amended by the Convention delegates if at least two-thirds (2/3) are in favour of the amendment and the Branch proposing the amendment agrees, as required by By-law 21.5;
- May not be proposed as a resolution from the Convention floor;
- Will be presented to the delegates in their original form and on the form designed by the National Executive, as proper for incorporation in the By-laws.
NOTE: These By-Law Amendments should only propose changes to our CURRENT By-laws.
The procedures for submitting Branch Resolutions are set out in Section III, para. 11.8 of the Policy Manual. Although provision is made for submitting resolutions to the Executive Vice President/alternate within 24 hours of the opening of the Convention, Branch Chairperson/ Stewards are urged to try to have them all into the National Office 60 days in advance so that the membership as a whole will be aware of all subjects to be put before the Convention Delegates.
Attached and linked here is the form recommended for use by Branches in submitting convention Resolutions and By-law amendments.
Executive Vice President
Click here for PDF